Yes, yes, yes! This is so exciting! I love some of these ideas on how to encourage play in your community as a way of creating joy and growing community bonds:
Here’s our list of
75100 ways that you can start making your city or town a playful place:
Join the CommunityMatters conference call on play and placemaking
- Join the CommunityMatters conference call on play and placemaking
- Turn the subway into a swing set
- Munch people with your eyes
- Turn your street into a Play Street
- Let sidewalks be trampolines
- Play pong with traffic lights
- Transform a set of stairs into a piano
- Give pedestrians the keys to your city
- Host a hummingbirdman rally
- Embed games in public seating
- Think more like a roller coaster designer
- Rethink the public library as a place for play
- Start a citywide festival of play
- Challenge people to try alternative transportation
- Create a local currency, then turn it into a game
- Get all ethereal and make a playground in the air
- Install a swing just about anywhere
- Make a plan for engaging your community in play
see the first 74 via 75 Seriously Fun Ways to Make Your Town More Playful | CommunityMatters.
The other 25 were posted here, and included:
- Add cheer to the streets with tiny notes.
- Host a temporary tattoo parlor.
- Get out on the street with a popcorn machine. Idea from @wemakegood
- Three words: Cardboard Animal Picnic. Inspired by Patrick McDonnell
- Stop standing and start sitting with bench bombing.
- Install a Givebox. Idea from @wanderingzito
- Start a bell box mural project.
- Conduct pointless surveys. Idea from @uncustomaryart…
- Three Lessons On Placemaking (nextcity.org)
- MIT report on placemaking (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- The 7 Psychological Functions of the Art of Placemaking (resilience.org)